JChen03

Somewhere to quietly make noise...

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Compulsive Behavior

Okay, so I have long known that I need constant entertainment and diversion to keep from going nuts. I think because I have random moments of downtime at work right now, that my boredom has manifested itself into strange compulsions.

Take shopping online. It's amazing how long you can remain captivated by Amazon.com and Overstock.com and Craigslist. I think Craigslist is the worst. I've started to surf the 'Best of' and 'Missed connections' section just because the content is kind of monotonously mesmerizing. There's also blog stalking. I've become such a terrible blog stalker! I began reading Shewalks daily at the suggestion of Kim, and I also compulsively check friends' Xangas in order to stay super current. I really have too much free time on my hands.

My other compulsion involves planning. Because I'm naturally disorganized, I use the spare moments that I do have and don't want to "waste" trying to get a handle on my clutter. Today, I started entering birthdays on a Yahoo Calendar. Ten bucks say I don't keep up the calendar for more than a month (although, mind you, I tried filling it in through 2006). Happy early birthdays to all. I also try to make to-do lists, which end up taking the shape of random desktop post-its on my computer screen and real yellow post-its all over my desk. Pay telephone bills. Clean room. Figure out my life. Etc.

You know, I don't know what I'll do with myself once I retire....not that that's for many many years, but food for thought, eh? I hope there is some retirement community center that has rigorous classes and random workshops for the active, elderly, and slightly insane. :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jchen-oh-three- where for art thee???

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home