JChen03

Somewhere to quietly make noise...

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Step Class

So, one thing I've been doing during the week is taking step classes at UCLA's athletic center. The Wooden Center is actually really nice. The facilities are pretty new, although the atmosphere is a bit intense. When you walk in, there's a long row of elliptical machines along the right side facing air conditioned racquetball courts (which I tried for the first time this week -- a great way to let loose some pent up aggression). ;-)

To the left, there's a room full of gymnastics equipment and then another room with rows and rows of treadmills, ellipticals, and steppers. It's so intense. It's like Buns of Steel times one-hundred.

Anyway, I usually ignore all of these other machines, along with the basketball courts, volleyball courts, etc. and just take one of the classes. I've now been to four step classes. The instructors are really funny. I feel bad, because they seem to feel compelled to be entertaining, but to be quite honest, it's hard to be amused when your out of breath, sweaty, and uncoordinated (the step routines can be complex at times).

The last class I took, the workout was fairly rigorous, and it was so funny, right behind me, there was this ancient man (like seventies maybe) doing high-impact step aerobics. I felt so motivated to keep going, since he was doing the level-three jumps and moves for the routines! (Level 1 is basic step, Level 2 is intermediate, and Level 3 is the high-impact). A few steppers next to the old man, there was a woman in her sixties maybe who was amazingly fit and flexible. I've seen her there doing ballet, too. She's a petite Asian woman who wears a high side ponytail and really bright, cute athetlic wear. After the step class, she was stretching and doing the splits. Amazing.

Anyway, I just wanted to share about the people in my step class. Heehee. I hope I'm that physically fit when I'm that old!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Julie! Finally catching up on your blog! Hope you're doing well and that you're okay! Yeah, the Wooden Center is pretty neat and it's free (price is probably included in the tuition, but still!). Okay, gotta go back to work!

-naomi :)

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home