Boot Camp
Okay, so I know I've already blogged about this subject before, but I think today merits retelling funny workout stories.
I took a "Total Conditioning" class at the Wooden Athletic Center today, thinking it would be a nice little respite from the stress of the week. A few of us girls from the law school like to try out different gym classes, but usually, we stick to "step aerobics," "step pilates," etc. Usually, these kinds of classes are frequented mostly by women, and the one or two guys that are dragged in to them by their significant others.
Anyway, so we arrive at this class, and first of all, it's in a large basketball gymnasium. Warning sign #1. Second, about 40% of the class is comprised of fairly buff, athletic-looking men. Warning sign #2. Third, the instructor is a chiseled, wirey woman with huge biceps -- she looked like she could bench press me. Warning sign #3.
The class started off with laps around the gym. I don't mind running at all, but this didn't feel like a nice, relaxing warm-up jog. Instead, this totally felt like junior high P.E. class, when eighty-year old Mr. Hitchcock would bark out, "Hit 'em, two," and we'd all have to run laps around the cement field for what seemed like an eternity. After 15 minutes of various running and shuffling exercises around the gym, we proceeded to do basketball sprints across the gymnasium. At this point, I was pretty much covered in sweat and huffing and puffing. We were not very happy. Then, the super-buff instructor announced that it was time for the HIGH intensity segment of the class. For another half-hour or so, we did more sprints across the gymnasium, this time, hopping through a rope ladder that was lying flat against the floor using different footwork. We also had to do push ups across the floor. Unhappy. Very unhappy.
To make a long story short, we were NOT expecting this kind of workout. We were so exhausted afterward. In the words of Tae from "Clueless," (when she's talking to Cher after their extracurricular reading), "and my buns don't feel nuthin' like steel." Does anyone remember that line? I LOVE that movie. I should watch it again sometime...
The end. Goodnight.


2 Comments:
Sorry about the class Julie, but it made for an interesting entry! Loved it! Can picture the whole thing! Oh gosh, Mr. Hitchcock! In my class, I think it was Michi, Wachi or Orion who would always finish first! It sure wasn't me! Hahahaha! And yes, I remember that line and can totally hear you saying it! -naomi :)
"two thumbs up, fine holiday fun"
whats not to love about mr hitchcock. :) the best is if you ran SLOW enough you would end up having to only do ONE lap b/c people were already done and playing b-ball, moonball, or paddle tennis. ahhh the sports of jr high. :) those were the good old days... :)
Post a Comment
<< Home