My 4x4
No, I'm not talking about something you can order from In'n'Out. ;-) A little while back, I signed up for a "4x4" at church; basically, it's a group of four women of varying ages who get together over the course of four months to hang out and get to know each other. Each woman hosts the rest of the group once and decides on the meal.
Last night was the first of the 4x4 meetings. I only knew one of the women (she's really friendly, a therapist, probably about six or seven years older than me), and the rest were just names in an email. It was a fun experience, but kind of tiring (you know how it is when you meet new people and it's nice to talk to someone new, but takes a lot of energy).
Anyway, half-way through the night, I began to think, wow, they must all think I'm *really* young. It's so funny, because I *constantly* talk about feeling so old and boring, etc. But, one woman had grown children with children of their own. And the other woman who hosted was married for five years and in her thirties. And I'm pretty sure they thought I was fairly young (I came in my school clothes, including my skater-like tennis shoes and jeans).
It was a funny reality check to talk to women who have been through much more of life than me. I know I complain a LOT about the fear of hitting the quarter century mark (*yikes* got another half a year to go), but it was nice to feel like the baby again. =)


4 Comments:
Did they call you "kiddo"? The Chief Engineer at my building calls me that. I like it. It's all about perspective!
I work with older people and I like it. You don't have any of the drama of younger girls and they have great stories! Plus there's so much to learn from them.
-nomi :)
Oh! And I like the new look of your blog. Thought I had the wrong website for a sec.
-nomi :)
ya whole new year, whole new format! love it! :)
okay your 4x4 is funny. i like the name of it. i also like how you referenced that it is NOT in n out burger. I was thinking - did you get a new jeep w/ 4 wheel drive? hahaha. :)
sounds like a neat experience. It would be fun if our church did something like that too. :) I like!
It's funny, I've been having the opposite feeling lately! For most of my life, I've been the youngest--the youngest sibling (by far), and also the youngest in my circle of friends. But lately, I've noticed that a lot of my friends are younger than me. Plus, YAF is shifting to a younger crowd...and now I feel old. =(
Post a Comment
<< Home