Why Can't I Just Wear a Sign That Says "Hire Me"?
I had my first job interview in quite awhile this morning. I was interviewing for a summer job at a law firm as a part of the on-campus recruiting process. The interview went okay, I think, but not GREAT.
Here's what I find difficult about the interview process:
1. You have to wear a suit. Now, i actually *like* wearing suits. However, for interviews, I find it unnatural -- it's not like people at work actually dress in suits everyday. So why for an interview? Plus, suits are not as sweat-proof as other clothing, which is ironic, because interviews normally take place in a somewhat stressful environment where one may be prone to, well, sweat.
2. It's hard to be yourself. I know people always say "be yourself" in interviews, but honestly, I don't think I'd get a job if I was myself. I'm normally pretty shy and not one to talk about my accomplishments to people I've just met. Thus, to "be myself" in an interview is kind of like an oxymoron.
3. High heels. This might carry over into the realm of being annoyed that men don't have to wear high heels with their suits. But yeah, I wore my suit and tennis shoes on the bus this morning to school. I felt like my mom circa 1985.
4. The classic interview questions. For the record, I really *don't* know why I want to work for you rather than another company. I don't have a biggest accomplishment, although I am awfully good at predicting who gets voted off "American Idol." I don't know if I can just name *one* biggest weakness...and for that question, I might have to admit that I'm kind of a slob and disorganized...Probably not the *best* thing to say for a legal job. ;-)
5. Groveling. I just don't like feigning interest. Don't get me wrong, there have been jobs I've really wanted because they were a good fit and I liked the company. However, there are many other jobs where I'm just not sure if I'm "wow-ed." For example, I remember one time being asked why I wanted a job looking at random websites all day (for emu oil and the most random of subjects) and something came out of my mouth like "I'm naturally a really curious person, and I just love the excitement of learning new things..."


2 Comments:
All very good reasons! They should change the interview process. Maybe it should include a personality test.
Interviewer: "So I'm not sure if you're someone we're looking for and you're sweating a lot in that suit of yours...um, yeah..."
Interviewee: "But I'm an ISFJ! An ISFJ seems perfect for this job!"
Interviewer: "An ISFJ huh? Yeah, we're looking for an INFJ. Sorry."
-naomi :)
hehe. ur such a character! i can totally hear u griping in this post.
-alin
Post a Comment
<< Home