Nowhere to hide
One thing that sometimes bugs me about law school is how much it's like junior high: everyone knows what's going on with everyone else, and if they don't, people will speculate. Sometimes, I just feel like being anonymous.
It's understandable. We're only about a 1000 strong when you count everyone in the law school. In my class alone, there are 320 of us, and I take all my classes with the same 80 people. Even though those numbers don't sound small, when you spend so much time at school, the school just starts to feel smaller and smaller. Granted, I still do not know many of the people here. But, I've probably seen their faces, and perhaps even surmised a quirk or two about them (that's the guy that always sits on the first floor of the library; she's the girl who always where's her hair in a boufante; etc.).
Anyway, I guess I've been feeling bothered because recently I've realized that I have been the subject of other people's gossip. Not that the gossip itself was bad or mean-spirited. But it still bugged me because the gossip wasn't true.
It's hard to describe exactly what my first year of law school has been like...only those who have done it can probably really understand. One thing that has stood out this year, though, is the degree of inescapable transparency. It's like being on an episode of Gray's Anatomy. Who's going out with who in section such and such. Who made that comment in Con Law. Who got a job at such and such. Who beat up so and so in the girl's bathroom (you think I'm joking..but it really almost happened to someone last semester over a verbal brawl in Torts).
On a side note, I think that I become more prolific as it gets closer to finals. Heh!


2 Comments:
So was the gossip about you beating up somebody in the girl's bathroom? Heehee. I like it when you are prolific. Hope finals go well!
wow you sound famous. and popular. i'm glad it wasn't mean spirited, but wrong information would totally annoy me too! :(
Post a Comment
<< Home